In today’s world, millions of people are dependent on their technology. It is becoming a growing health concern for not only adults but younger generations as well. “Text Neck” is a term or phrase to describe the damage or pain caused to the neck from the overuse of a wireless device, tablet, or cell phone for too long and recurrently. This term was created by a Chiropractor from the U.S. whose name is Dr. Dean L. Fishman. This syndrome refers to the specific position of the neck when your head is forward and in a hanging or flexed position. The average human head weighs between 10 and 12 pounds, and when you hang your head to look down at your device to a certain degree it adds extra weight.
Picture of degree with added pounds example:
Text Neck adverse symptoms can include:
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
- Upper back pain
- Chronic headaches
- Curvature of the spine
Ways to prevent text neck:
- When looking at your phone raise it to eye level so that your head isn’t tilted down
- Take breaks and spend less time on the device
- Change the position you are in (ex: lie down on your back so your neck is supported)
- Stand / sit up straight practicing good posture
- Stay fit – stretching and strengthening those muscles will make it easier for the body to handle the stress
At Midwest Pain Solutions, we specialize in high-intensity laser therapy, chiropractic manipulation, extracorporeal shockwave therapy, and spinal decompression. Our high-intensity laser therapy uses high-powered lasers at specific wavelengths to have photochemical effects on targeted tissue areas. Due to the specific frequency, the laser penetrates deeply and stimulates increased blood circulation and other functions that can result in pain relief and reduced swelling.
For more information, visit: